Professional Training in Wilhelm Reich’s
Be the Instrument of Change
Watch: Dr. Patricia Frisch Welcomes Mental Health Professionals as Students *If stuttered playback occurs press the HD button to play in sd.
2013 Schedule of Live classes
Dr. Frisch’s Training in Orgonomic Therapy is a comprehensive theoretical and clinical method that teaches the clinician a concise diagnostic typology of character types and its corollary biophysical codification of segmental character armoring. It includes a working model of how to engage specific character types effectively, set a clear therapeutic frame, and work effectively with defenses such that deeper insight and affect can be discovered. The method teaches intervention skills finely tuned to the patient. The method is applicable to a wide range of clinical disorders including patients with extensive trauma.
Recent advances in neuroscience demonstrate that our earliest attachment experiences in infancy radically affect the development of the brain with major ramifications on our entire ability to function. The mind/body connection is profound and as professionals we can intervene to repair the ruptures in self-regulation that occur at the deepest levels.
Dr. Frisch’s method integrates the theories of the Masterson Group (James Masterson M.D.) and the character types of the Disorders of the Self to provide a comprehensive character typology that includes preoedipal attachment disorders, into Reich’s schema of neurotic types. She also integrates Carl Jung’s concepts in order to provide extensive understanding of the unconscious and give clear directions in dream analysis.
Learning the Method of Orgonomic Treatment
Reich’s theory connects the character structure with the individual’s physical/energetic system. Understanding the various characterological patterns is the first step in developing an effective treatment strategy. These patterns can be seen through both Reich’s and Masterson’s lenses to correctly delineate patients’ most important characteristics. Then, specific interventions can help the client in the here and now to see and dismantle their unique defensive styles and penetrate underneath those defenses to the various layers of memory and feeling. The somatic interventions of deep massage, facilitation of natural respiration, and expressive exercises assist the release of the functionally identical muscular armoring and allow the body to experience and express the emotions held within repressed memories. The patient can then experience diminished symptoms, an expanded energetic function and, therefore, more contentment. The Self, or core, can be accessed and a more authentic, creative life of expression is possible.
Clinicians are the instrument of change. The training insists that to facilitate deep psychological work with others, clinicians must face their own personal material. Our therapeutic skill depends on our honest self-awareness and emotional/energetic openness. OINC encourages therapists interested in learning and practicing this model to be in Orgonomic treatment with an accredited Orgonomist.
OINC offers live and distance learning options for professionals wishing to be trained in Wilhelm Reich’s Orgonomy.
Join other students and professionals in a collegial environment with didactic lectures, stimulating discussion, experiential practicum with coaching, and supervised case presentations. We offer:
2013 Live Classes:
- Advanced Level 1 Audio CD Course Series Study Group
- Experiential Practicum
- Advanced Bodywork Classes
- Topical Mentoring Classes (with topics such as Differential Diagnosis, Dream Analysis, and Biophysical Demonstrations)
- Biophysical Demonstration Days (demonstration clients experience characteranalysis and biophysical interventions by Dr. Frisch and a trainee supervised by her)
- Bodywork Practicum
Audio Courses: Many of OINC’s courses for professionals have been recorded and are now available to various audiences for purchase. Audio course training tracks include:
- Orientation Audio CD Series (can be purchased by general public)
- Introductory CD Training Series for New Students (with topics such as Introduction to Diagnosis: Disorders of the Self; Schizophrenia and the Anal Character; and the Difficult Patient: Managing Acting Out)
- Intermediate CD Training Series
- Advanced CD Training Courses
- Comprehensive CD Training Series – With topics such as Reich’s character typology, Masterson’s Disorders of the Self, interventions with neurotics and early attachment disorders, how character disorders develop from childhood, working with difficult patients and trauma, mistakes and failures in treatment and therapy as a transformational process.
- Additional Audio Courses
- Public Workshops (suitable for professionals and public alike)
Independent Study Path: U.S. and International students now have an opportunity to learn Orgonomy, the classical theoretical foundation of somatic psychology, through distance learning courses and private mentorship through OINC’s Independent Study Path.
Practice Consultation: Dr. Patricia Frisch, OINC’s Executive Director, has over two decades of experience in helping professionals develop the skill sets and business strategies that help them achieve success in their private practices.
Our trainings include:
- Education in character development, character diagnosis as it relates to developmental issues
- Treatment of chronic personality disorders and other psychological conditions
- Restructuring of the character and its biophysical corollary
- The therapeutic relationship: transference and working with the resistant patient, establishing resonance, right brain to right brain communication
- Dream analysis, active imagination and expressive art therapy
- Training in characteranalysis, including:
- Learning how to facilitate characteranalytic group therapy
- Couples and family therapy
- Interventions in the here and now that engage the patient where he/she is
For a sample of Dr. Frisch teaching listen here: