Comprehensive Audio Series
FIMO’s 4-course Comprehensive MP3 training series is designed for new and current students who want to learn characteranalysis and have a comprehensive education in Wilhelm Reich, Masterson and Dr. Frisch’s method.
These courses are at an intermediate/advanced level and will thoroughly cover the theoretical and clinical approach of Wilhelm Reich and his somatic techniques. The Masterson Group’s delineation of the Disorders of the Self will also be included in order to represent later research in developmental attachment theory and round out Reich’s diagnostic typology. These training courses are rich with information, include non-confidential discussion and experiential coaching to hear the approach in action, and allow students to self-pace and deepen their learning to the point of mastery. These courses facilitate your entry into more advanced classes that include Reich’s biophysical interventions.
In addition to Dr. Patricia Frisch’s instruction, several segments of the training will be taught by Dr. Richard Blasband. Richard A. Blasband is a board-certified psychiatrist. Dr. Blasband studied medical orgonomy with Dr. Elsworth Baker, who was appointed by Wilhelm Reich to train physicians in his therapeutic discipline, psychiatric orgone therapy. With others of Dr. Baker’s students, Dr. Blasband assisted Dr. Baker in the creation of the American College of Orgonomy.
For two samples of Dr. Frisch teaching the Audio Comprehensive Series, listen here:
Incorporating Masterson with Reich
MP3: Buy Now
The intent of this class is to integrate the diagnostic nosology of James Masterson with Wilhelm Reich’s Character Typology (Orgonomy). Reich focused on neurotic character types and Masterson created a developmental self/object relations perspective and created the Disorders of Self to cover preoedipal developmental issues. Case Management from both perspectives is included. To supplement Reich’s approach, this class also integrates theory and technique from Carl Jung. Time: 5:37
- James Masterson (Masterson Approach): Introduction to the Disorders of the Self: Developmental Self-Object Relations Approach – covering preoedipal developmental issues pertaining to personality (character disorders)
- Masterson Approach: Basic Concepts Applicable to Orgonomic Clinical Practice and the Narcissistic Personality Disorder
- Wilhelm Reich: Introduction to Character Formation, Diagnosis, Red Thread and the Genital Character
- Wilhelm Reich: Delineation of all Character Types: Genital, Hysteric, Phallic, Anal, Ocular, Oral
- Masterson Approach: Disorders of the Self: Borderline, Narcissistic, Schizoid
- Reich’s Typology: Most commonly seen characters in treatment
- Dialogue with the Unconscious: Jung
- Case Supervision, discussion to enhance learning all aspects of the training
Wilhelm Reich’s Diagnostic Typology
MP3: Buy Now
The intent of this class is to further integrate the diagnostic perspectives of James Masterson with Wilhelm Reich’s Character Typology (Orgonomy). The focus will be on differential diagnosis as well as elaboration on specific diagnostic categories from each theorist. Analytic technique and case management from both perspectives are included. Time: 5:38
We have a 10-minute audio sample of this MP3 available for listening here.
- Reich and Masterson: transference neurosis/transference acting out, counter-transference.
- Masterson’s approach to therapeutic neutrality, stance and therapeutic relationship, counter-transference continued.
- Understanding and working with the stratified layers of defense.
- Reich’s diagnostic categories: phallic narcissist, chronic depressive-interventions.
- Masterson’s differential diagnosis: exhibitionistic narcissist and closet narcissistic.
- Reich’s diagnostic category: manic depressives, and interventions with neurotics.
- DSM IV/Masterson typology comparison, information gathering for differential diagnosis.
- Masterson: differential diagnosis – Ralph Klein vignettes.
- Case Management: defensive acting out – 2 case studies (borderline with PTSD and phallic narcissist from Journal of Orgonomy)
- Reich: differential diagnosis according to Reich – character and energetic developmental fixations.
- Case supervision and discussion to enhance learning all aspects of the training.
Introduction to Reich
MP3: Buy Now
The intent of this class is to offer a methodical step-by-step introduction to the works of Wilhelm Reich (Orgonomy/Orgonomic Treatment), specifically his theory and clinical practice of character-analysis. To supplement Reich’s approach, this class integrates theory and technique from James Masterson and Carl Jung. Time: 5:31
- The clinician as the instrument of change.
- Contact/Contactlessness/Substitute Contact: how to work with contact problems in the therapeutic relationship.
- Historical overview of Reich: from character analysis to Orgone Biotherapy.
- Character analysis, latent resistance, negative transference: the unfolding of the therapeutic relationship.
- Development of character from childhood, 3 layers: core feelings, secondary layer, and façade.
- Basics of Orgonomic Treatment: initial phase of treatment, therapeutic frame (James Masterson), policies and procedures, and informed consent. How frame catalyzes issues of transference and latent negativity.
- How To’s: first and second sessions – initial interview.
- Carl Jung: heart and soul of the work.
- Basics of Orgonomy: elements of bioenergetics, genitality, orgasm reflex and orgasm anxiety, and their application in therapy.
- Case supervision, discussion to enhance learning of all aspects of the training.
Working Outside the Box
MP3: Buy Now
The intent of this class is to further integrate the diagnostic perspectives of James Masterson with Wilhelm Reich’s Character Typology (Orgonomy). The focus will be on elaboration on specific diagnostic categories from each theorist namely Schizoid Disorder of the Self and Schizophrenia from both Mastersonian and Orgonomic perspectives. Case studies will be presented to further elucidate these character types. Analytic technique and case management from both theorists are included. To supplement Reich’s approach, this class also integrates theory and technique from Carl Jung. Time: 7:00
- Masterson Approach: Dr. Candice Orcutt presents Mahler – presentation and discussion of schizophrenia.
- A newer integration of attachment theory by Dr. Gilbert Foley – self-social-emotional development of the infant as it pertains to the development of pathology.
- Masterson Group: (Dr. Orcutt) clinical approach.
- Masterson Group: Case study – schizophrenia.
- Reich: Orgonomic diagnosis – schizophrenia, disorder of the ocular segment.
- Case studies of schizophrenia in orgonomy: diagnosis and treatment.
- Reich: Elaboration on subtypes of schizophrenia.
- Jung: Therapy as a transformational process – inspiring individuation and core expression.
- Jung: Elements of dream analysis.
- Reich: The nature of emotional illness and what corrects it.
- Case supervision, discussion to enhance learning all aspects of the training.
- Individual Comprehensive MP3 Courses are $325* each.
- Training Package containing all 4 MP3’s: $1100* ($200 discount) Buy Now
*plus applicable taxes.
Individual and Shared Mentoring Options:
There are individual and shared mentoring options for all our Audio Series. Mentoring helps students enhance mastery of the material, provides opportunities to engage experientially with the intervention style, and aids in integrating the work into other paradigms. If you would like to be mentored by Dr. Patricia Frisch in an individual or shared mentoring setting, please email us and let us know.
Students wishing to study the Comprehensive MP3 Training Series must be licensed health professionals or students on track for licensure, have completed sufficient introductory and intermediate training through FIMO, or have permission of Dr. Frisch.